Time for an update about my anti-aging experiences and doing it in the week that I have become 47 years old seems fitting. It is going well with me and I have lost a bit perspective on age and that I get older because I feel and look in my 30s and its hard to see how that would change in the coming years barring for disease, accidents or other catastrophic events.
Before going to the update I think its good to be transparent here and update that I have bought a decent amount of shares in Chromadex. I am more convinced than ever that nicotinamide riboside (Niagen is Chromadex’s product) is effective and helps keeping me in shape. So just in case it will make me live a lot longer buying shares in Chromadex seemed to be an appropriate hedging strategy: longer life requires more income & nicotinamide riboside becoming an accepted anti-aging compound doing it would lead to massive share price gains thus providing that extra financing. On the other side if it doesn’t lead to longer life I don’t need the financial windfall either. So a very speculative hedge and this is not a recommendation to anybody.
In my last update I wrote that I had dropped Pterostilbene and Fisetin to gauge the impact. As I wrote then I noticed increased need for urination, typical of getting older. Since I have added them again the need for urination is down again. I am fairly sure this is because of the Pterostilbene. Next I dropped other components from the stack I am using for periods of 5 weeks:
- Honokiol no obvious impacts after dropping it for 5 weeks. But I didn’t expect any either because I use it as cancer prevention supplement and some other slow moving properties.
- Quercetin no obvious impacts after dropping it for 5 weeks. I didn’t expect any either because I use it for anti CD38, anti-cancer, anti-inflammation and a bunch of other properties it has.
I have also experimented more with Nicotinamide Riboside going from 1 doses of 250mg in the morning to 2 doses in morning and evening and 3 doses of 250mg in the morning, afternoon and evening. Despite analyses indicating that morning only or twice a day being more than enough I find that the 3 doses works the best. I am not sure whether its the absolute amount of NR that is important or the timing of taking NR in relation to other processes in the body e.g. the circadian rhythm. So it may be that 3 times a day simply ensures that there is sufficient NAD+ in the body when its really needed.
Then some markers:
- hair regrowth continuous. For a couple of times I have thought that if it would regrow to a certain point that would be fantastic. Now I am wondering why would I not get my full hair back. Its a slow process but ongoing for 1.5 years so why would it stop?
- Wrinkles, skin. My face structure is well “filled” and skin color continuous to slowly become lighter and more even. In the beginning I was wondering do I have a pigment issue as some areas became lighter (this is all subtle) but that process continuous so now I attribute it to skin getting in better shape. I also think my pores are a bit smaller again. Similarly I see the skin my hands somewhat improving. Wrinkles however do not disappear, less deep, less noticable but not gone. I see them now as “aging scars” and something else will be needed for them to disappear. Or then the process is really slow.
- Winter has just past and I was surprised how often my hands managed without gloves. Two years ago I had one finger always going numb in the cold (didn’t have that when I was young). Nothing like that anymore.
- Eyesight. Its better but still not at a youthful level. Having said that 2 years ago I wanted to get glasses, now I am still without and not planning to get a pair yet.
- Physical shape and exercise. I have gotten used to it, my body looks in shape, good energy levels.
I have added Ginkho Biloba as a generic blood circulation support and its other alleged properties. I have tried Luteolin, couple more substances but its getting harder to relate them to bio markers that have short term effects. So I am embarking on a new strategy:
- The anti-aging daily base package: Nicotinamide Riboside (Niagen), Pterostilbene, Fisetin, Ginkho Biloba.
- A rotating scheme of compounds for preventative reasons: Honokiol, Quercetin, Luteolin, probably some other ones too
- Special 1-2 days sessions every couple weeks to flush out senescent cells, AGEs. This is purely experimental and perhaps only noticeable in the skin. I will do them at higher doses