Personal experiences: dosing & timing experiment

In the last months I have tried a new dosing and timing change. For a long time I had taken 250mg Niagen in the morning and 250mg before bed time. But with human trials taking place at higher dosing and no indications that spreading the dosing over the day has any influence I decided to try something new. I started using 750mg Niagen in one dose in the morning. For a short while this seemed to work out fine or at least similar to the old regime. But after some weeks I started to doubt the effectiveness, feeling less fresh and also appearance wise I looked tired even though gym performance stayed good. I had just started to use a new can of Niagen and was wondering whether I got a bad batch. My own perceptions were confirmed when a colleague asked me if I was sleeping bad as I looked worn out. At that point I concluded its time to stop my dosing and timing experiment and go back to the 250mg morning and 250mg Niagen just before sleeping. After a week or so I felt back on the right track and a few more weeks later I am back where I was before I started to experiment. On a very recent trip another colleague asked whether I would be willing to share my age, which I did. He said that is what he had heard but that because he was as old as me but perceived himself looking much older he decided to ask.

Based on my experiment I have since recommended my parents to also split their dose in morning and just before bed time (upto now they took something morning and something afternoon). They have done that change and also perceive an improvement, in addition they think they sleep better.

So that makes it 3 persons that see differences in benefit depending on dosing and timing. Therefore it probably makes sense to experiment a bit when you are using Niagen to find out what works best for you. Also I am still using pterostilbene, ginkgo biloba and rotate (meaning I do not use them all at the same time) honokiol, fisetin, quercetin, luteolin for their reported preventative efficacy against different cancers.

For the rest I am doing very well, energetic, healthy, vision stable, hair continuing to improve (already for over two years) and mind sharp. I have an optimistic feeling this blog will be up for decades.

Timeless_one

8 thoughts on “Personal experiences: dosing & timing experiment

• March 26, 2018 at 8:50 pm

After some research on timing and dosage of Niagen about a year ago I settled on the same dose/timing you have foound to be best for you. I haven’t experimented so can’t compare alternatives, but I do find this dose/timing to be very effective for me.

• April 5, 2018 at 5:20 pm

You take NR but not NMN?

• April 17, 2018 at 6:20 pm

The dosing timing is important. I started feeling tired, unrested. I’m glad I read this, now I can try dosing right before bed, which I haven’t tried yet. Thanks a million.

• May 7, 2018 at 3:35 pm

I’ve been taking Niagen for about three months now. For the first two months, I was taking 250mg before bed and really didn’t notice a huge difference besides a little more energy during the day. Last month I started taking 375mg a day, still right before bed, and just this morning I noticed that I’ve lost a little weight and my neck looks better, skin is more smooth, it was starting to show my age a little (crepey). The only other supplements that I take are Turmeric and Berberine for its cancer-fighting properties; I’m 53 soon to be 54 in a few months. Today I’m starting to take 250mg in the morning and 250mg at night, so we will see.

• May 31, 2018 at 1:53 am

I would like to ask the author has he ever try taking the full dose, say 500mg all before bed time? I read something about niacin helps to produce HGH in high levels and provide a calm feeling during sleep, since NR and niacin are similar, maybe the ideal time to take NR is before bed time? As long as it doesn’t boost your energy and interfere your sleeping pattern. Maybe that’s the reason why you were feeling tired after taking 750mg in 1 dose all in the morning? Maybe NR is not for morning dosage?

I read something like the following….

• May 31, 2018 at 1:57 am

Also you feel more refresh after going back morning and night split dose, maybe the night dose NR upticks your HGH at sleep thus help you feel more refresh next day?

• June 3, 2018 at 10:53 am

Definitely a better feeling in the morning too.

• June 3, 2018 at 10:52 am

Hello and thank for your note. I have not taken it in one go at night time. Its an interesting thought you write there, will try to read up on it. I typically take it just before bed time, that makes me sleep well. If I take it lets say 7-8pm it does have an influence and I wake up too early. So there is likely a connection to the circadian cycle. I have tried to reduce the impact of jetlag with it but timing it tricky.